French Club Celebrates Mardi Gras

Grace Cistaro (10) makes a Valentine for a friend after cooking. The French Club celebrated Valentine’s Day along with Mardi Gras at their meeting.

On Tuesday, Jan. 24, French Club held a meeting where members celebrated holidays, made valentines and learned to make one of France’s most famous foods: crepes.

“This is the beginning of the Mardi Gras season, so we’re just having a little bit of a feast to celebrate,” Ms. Beverly Bovard, World Language said.

The students gathered into groups and read step-by-step instructions on making the crepes. For many, it was their first time in a Lake Central kitchen, let alone cooking independently.

“It was really fun because I’ve never taken cooking at LC before.  It was a new and interesting experience,” Joshua Chen (9) said.

Some students, however, didn’t feel as confident in their cooking skills.

“I’ve learned that I have zero culinary skills and most people don’t either,” said Ian Butler (9).

The club has had four meetings this year. Blessing Nnate (9) has learned a lot about France’s culture from the club so far and wants to learn even more.

“I want to learn how to speak slang French, like if I were talking with my friends,” Nnate said.

During the club’s next meeting, students will be learning about the history of Mardi Gras and how it relates to France. This is something Tommy Friel (10) is anticipating.

“I feel like that’s a bit… not glossed over, but, we go through that quickly. I took World History last year, and we did learn about France, but it’s not as much as I wanted to learn. It’s really interesting to learn about a culture that’s not your own, even just a language that’s not your own,” Friel said.