Indians take third at Regionals

Jacob Kleimola and his competitor hand fight in the beginning of the match. This was the first time that Kleimola has wrestled in the Regional tournament.

Maddie Hirschfield, Web Contributor
February 11, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories, Winter Sports

On Saturday, Feb. 8, the Calumet High School gymnasium was packed with enthusiastic fans and hard-working athletes. The boys varsity wrestling team was competing in the 2014 IHSAA Regionals.

At the end of the day, the team walked away with two Regional Champions and eight Semi-State qualifiers. The champions were Jacob Kleimola (10) in the 160 weight class and Gelen Robinson (12) in the 220 weight class. In addition to the two champions, Branden Truver (11), Jacob Sebahar (12), Daniel Vargas (12), Jacob Stewart (11), Kodie Christenson (11) and Nicholas Minkema (12) were the Semi-State qualifiers. The Indians finished third as a team with 107.5 points.

“It’s great knowing that I have won [Regionals]. This is my third year in a row winning Regionals, so it’s always great to know that I’m doing good this far into the season,” Robinson said.

While Robinson holds a veteran status on the wrestling team, Kleimola is also making a name for himself as he continues to win in the post-season. After winning a Sectional championship for the first time, his experience at Regionals proved to be just as rewarding.

“You know [being a Regional champion] feels really good. I’ve never even wrestled at Regionals before, so [wrestling] my first year as a sophomore has been really exciting, but now I am just looking forward to getting ready for Semi-State,” Kleimola said.

The 2014 IHSAA Semi-State wrestling tournament will take place on Saturday, Feb. 15, at 8:30 a.m. in the Merrillville High School gymnasium.

• Jacob Kleimola and his competitor hand fight in the beginning of the match. This was the first time that Kleimola has wrestled in the Regional tournament.
  • Gelen Robinson (12) holds his opponent to the ground. Robinson was one of the two individual Regional champions for the Indians.
  • Jacob Kleimola (10) holds up his Regional bracket. He came out on top of the bracket and won a Regional championship in the 160 weight class.
  • Gelen Robinson (12) towers over his opponents on the podium. This was Robinson’s third Regional title in a row.
  • Antonio Presta (11) attempts to escape from his competitor. The Indians took third at Regionals as a team.
  • Nicholas Taylor (11) grabs his opponent’s ankle to keep him from escaping. Taylor did not end up advancing to Semi-State.
  • Jacob Sebahar (12) attempts to take control and reverse his opponent. Sebahar finished second in his bracket.
  • Kodie Christenson (11) tries to turn his competitor to the mat. Christenson advanced to the finals but ended up in second place at his weight class.
  • Daniel Vargas (12) holds his opponent to the ground as the clock runs out of time. Vargas ended up qualifying for the Semi-State competition.
  • Kodie Christenson (11) forces his opponent to the mat. Winning two of his matches, he contributed to the Indian’s total team score of 107.5 points.