Varsity boys soccer defeats Valparaiso 2-1

Jorge Trujilo (12) kicks the ball away from LC’s goal. Trujilo only let one goal past him in the game against Valparaiso.

The varsity boys soccer team defeated Valparaiso on Wednesday night 2-1. The game started out slowly, but the intensity was high. The first goal of the game was scored by Nikko Kolintzas (10) with 26:16 left in the first half.

Toward the middle of the second half, Valparaiso made its way onto the scoreboard, tying the game up 1-1. The setback was minor, and the boys made their way back to the top for the win.

“I can never be perfect. I really want to work on my shots, my movement and my endurance, and everything else is pretty good right now,” Michael McClelland (11) said.

During the second half with 3:27 left in the game, McClelland scored the winning goal of the game, leading the boys to their 2-1 victory over Valparaiso.

“[Scoring the game winning goal] felt really good. I liked it especially because they were in second, and I felt like we should have been ranked higher. To beat them, I think that puts us where we should really be, so it was really good,” McClelland said.

The team will travel to Zionsville this weekend to face off against Evansville North, and on Oct. 1, they play at Merrillville.