Girls volleyball defeated at sectional championships

Celebrating after a good play, the varsity girls group together. The girls took second place at sectionals on Oct. 25. Photo by: James Lafakis

The varsity girls volleyball team left sectionals at Munster High school defeated on Sat. Oct. 25.

“[I felt] extremely disappointed because I really thought that game was ours and I didn’t want our season to end so soon. We had a lot of drive and motivation to win but we fell apart in the fourth set,” Rachel Gross (11), setter, said.

The final stats of the games were 25-19, 14-25, 21-25, 25-23, with the final game ending in 15-12, Munster Mustangs.

“[Losing to Munster] was really hard because we prepared so much for it and we thought we did everything we could but we just kinda let the lead slip from us,” Alyssa Born (12), defense setter and libero, said.

The girls won against the Morton Governors in the first sectionals games and then waited and bonded until their 4 o’clock to play Munster.

“We were all together the whole day. We stayed at the school from the beginning match until the 4 o’clock match, so we got to bond a lot,” Samantha Anderson (11) said.

The only other five game loss that Lake Central has participated in was against Munster.

With the game being the last time the team will ever appear on the volleyball court together, there was tension in the air.

“Overall, I think we could have done better. We got second place in pretty much everything we did. That’s good, we were right there. I’m happy with everything because we were a really close team and we were all like best friends,” Anderson said.

Turning the loss for the better, the girls look forward to a new season.

“It was hard to realize that it was over after we lost because it’s just been a huge part of my life. Now that it’s over it’s just kind of weird that I won’t see the girls anymore and there’s no more saying ‘Oh well, we’ll get them next year,’”  Born said.