A bountiful harvest

Kodie Christenson (12) controls his opponent’s leg during the championship match. Christenson was the 152-pound weight class champion.

On Saturday, Dec. 6 the boys wrestling team showed up bright and early for the 34th annual Harvest Classic.  After a loss of heavyweight Gelen Robinson (‘14), there has been a presiding question of how the team will represent in the post-season.  Overall, the team placed 4th.

“Overall our team did really well, everyone placed top nine which is good.  I wish we could have done better, but I was still happy we placed 4th in a tough tournament, we have worked hard and were well prepared,” Kodie Christenson (12) said.

Three wrestlers competed in the championship matches, with Kodie Christenson (12) placing first while Branden Truver (12) and Jacob Kleimola (11) placed second in their respective weight classes.

“[Going into my finals match] I wasn’t too nervous about it, I didn’t know the kid, which I actually prefer.  I feel like I wrestle a lot better not knowing who I’m wrestling because I don’t think about it at all. Obviously the kid was good. He had me beat top and bottom positions, but I had him beat on our feet, both my coach and I agreed on that. The kid was tough, I’ll give him that,” Branden Truver (12) said.

Christenson faced Michael Krzyston (12) from Andrean High School in the championship match for the 152-pound weight class.

“Going into the match, I felt pretty confident and I knew what I had to do to win. I have been working hard and I was not going to lose,” Christenson said.

After a tough meet against Michigan City High School on Wednesday, Dec. 3, the all-day Classic helped reset the team’s mentality and competitive nature.

“Michigan City was a rough day, I’m not really sure what was going through everybody’s head, but we picked it up Saturday. I felt that everybody did great. Everybody placed, and not every team that was at the tournament could say that. We had one champion which is good, but obviously we need improvement. We could have had three or even four or more, so that’s something we need to work on but we will get there,” Truver said.