Special event for Special Olympics

Andrew Birlson (8) takes a shot during the Special Olympic basketball game March 16. Birlson was awarded a sportsmanship award at the end of the game.

Lake Central’s West Lake Special Olympic basketball team, took on Lowell’s Special Olympic team Monday, March 16.  Lowell took the win this time, but that did not affect Lake Central. The students of West Lake were just excited to be out there playing with a loud and enthusiastic student section cheering them on.

“I think the student section made the kids really excited. They don’t always have events that are such a big deal,” Mrs. Karen Brann, Functional Skills, said.

Students of West Lake were proud to be apart of the West Lake Basketball Team. Once they stepped foot on the court, there was no stopping them.

“I liked it. It was a lot of fun.  My favorite part [about basketball] was playing with my friends,” Joy Wozniak (9) said.

Lowell ended the game with a win at the last minute, finishing with a final score of 34-31. As a Lowell player ran down the court, the clock was stopped with 1.6 seconds left.

“I knew the game would go well. The kids always have fun,” Mrs. Brann said.