Dreary days never stopped the Indians

The girls on the field high-five each other on the mound after a good pitch by Annabel Karberg (12). During game, after each accomplishment, the ladies encouraged each other.

Although weather conditions were chilly with overcast, the varsity girls softball team did not hold back on Monday, April 20. The Lady Indians won 8-3 against Valparaiso in the fifth DAC game of the season.

“I thought we did a really nice job battling the elements during the game. We try to talk about controlling what you can’t control, and the weather is something you can’t control. We try to not let it affect us too much and focus on beating the opponent. I thought we did a really good job of doing that,” Coach Jeffrey Sherman, Math, said.

Having multiple games during a week, it is important that each player brings her best game, including Annabel Karberg (12) who pitched all seven innings. Players hit new highs and personal achievements that contributed to the team in positive ways.

“I was struggling for a while batting-wise, but my team has been really supportive. Last night showed me that I can get good hits,” Crystal Guzman (10) said.

The girls swept the bases against the Vikings, playing together as a unit and cheering each other on every step of the way. The energy on and off the field is enough to push the ladies to a successful rest of the season.

“Right now, we’re looking ahead to play Merrillville on Wednesday, [April 22] and [we’ll be heading] back to Indianapolis this weekend. If we finish out strong, we’re going to be looking pretty tough the rest of the way,” Assistant Coach Russell Serrato said.