For the first time

Team+members+jumble+up+as+they+rejoice+with+Austin+Atkins+%2811%29+after+he+scored+a+touchdown.+The+teams+did+not+keep+score+in+the+scrimmage.+
Team members jumble up as they rejoice with Austin Atkins (11) after he scored a touchdown. The teams did not keep score in the scrimmage.

On the evening of Friday, Aug. 14, the varsity football team scrimmaged the Andrean 59er’s for the first time in two years. The boys also played another team in the brand new football stadium for the first time.

“It is definitely a different feel going from grass to turf, but [turf] is a lot better. There is no potholes like there was in the old field,” Nicholas Lucas (11) said. “[The new field] looks beautiful. [In my opinion,] it is definitely the best in Northwest Indiana. I’m glad the way it turned out.”

The scrimmage was an opportunity to learn what the team needs to improve. The coaches were able to be on the field to instruct closer and louder. This gave them the ability to correct mistakes as soon as they happened.

“I think the scrimmage kind of determines how [good] we are. I mean we can make a lot of improvements,” Anthony Garcia (11) said. “It helps us figure out what we’re going to work on.”

All the new things coming up and enhancing this season has the team very excited.

“I’m looking forward to playing with this defense. I think we have a lot of great guys and we can do really good and great things,” Lucas said.

Their next game is Friday, Aug. 21, against Munster. The game is away and starts at 7 p.m.