LC Indians take on Munster Mustangs

+Ethan+Darter+%2812%29+gives+the+play+in+the+huddle.+Darter+ended+the+game+with+19+of+25+for+206+yards.+
Ethan Darter (12) gives the play in the huddle. Darter ended the game with 19 of 25 for 206 yards.

Friday, Aug. 21, the varsity football team played against its long time rival, Munster High School. The boys were excited and ready to get back on the field after the off-season.

“Being on the field with people that you created a bond with over the summer [is] an unreal feeling that nobody [else] can feel, so that’s just awesome,” Nicholas Lucas (11) said.

The boys played a close game with the score being 20-19, Munster. Despite the outcome, a few members of the team had a successful night.

“I feel like the juniors really stepped up. [Anthony] Giles (11) had a big game, Austin [Atkins] had a big game and people on defense had a big game,” Nicholas Lucas (11) said.

Giles scored three times that night. This was the first game he played since he tore his meniscus.

“I really didn’t even believe [I scored] until after the game. Even when I was reading what I did after the game, I still didn’t believe it until I woke up the next morning. It was a surreal feeling,” Giles said.

At the end of the game, most players still felt like they had areas that they could improve on, like special teams.

“[We] need to work on special teams, [and] just get better every week,” Giles said.

They also found out that night that there were other areas that they needed to work on, things that could have affected the end result of the game.

“[We need to improve] our long snaps and everything cause one point can be a giant outcome.” Lucas said.

The next football game is at home on Friday, Aug. 28 against East Chicago Central High.