Indians battle Trojans

Khalid Yacoub (12) and Michael Dahlkamp (10) tackle Chesterton players during the third quarter. The score was Indians 10-7.

On Friday, Oct. 2, the Indians took on the Chesterton Trojans. The Indians fell to the Trojans with a score of 27-10. At halftime the score was tied 7-7, but at the beginning of the fourth quarter the Trojans took the lead with a score of 20-10. After the game, the team knew that the mistakes they made were likely what withheld them from victory.

“We didn’t execute when we needed to. At the end of the day, we didn’t make plays when it mattered. This was a wake up call, and we don’t want it to occur again,” Ryan Bereda (12) said.

The two turnovers the Indians had during the game gave more scoring opportunities to the Trojans. With the Indians losing of possession of the ball throughout the game, the Trojans took advantage of the Indians mistakes.

“As a whole I thought we played well, but we made too many mistakes. Offensively we had [multiple] opportunities, but we just couldn’t capitalize them when it mattered most,” Jakob Brown (12) said.

The Indians are now 4-1 in the DAC. Tied with Chesterton and Valparaiso for first place, it puts the conference championship up for grabs.

“We’re not out of the DAC championship yet so we just got to keep fighting. We can still win conference. I want to make noise in the tournament,” Brown said.

The next home game will be Friday, Oct. 9 against Merrillville. This will be the last home game for the regular season.