JV Volleyball captures a win

Mia DiNino (10) gets ready to set the ball. Nicole Dubish (10) and Kaylee Marovich (10) dove after the ball to volley it over the net.

The JV volleyball team faced off against the Merrillville Pirates on Oct. 6. The girls played hard throughout the whole night and beat their competitors with scores of 25-8 and 25-13.

“They played very well tonight. They made very few errors. It was a nice win,” Mrs. Jennifer Fandl, Math, said.  

This game was special because it was Senior Night. The girls wanted to start the night off right and make the seniors proud.  

“This game meant a lot since it’s Senior Night. We all put our heart into it,” Taylor Marten (9) said.

In the first game, the girls played strong despite the lack of intensity throughout the game.  

“It was a slower paced game, so we had to keep the intensity up. In other games it has been easier to do that,” Mrs. Fandl said.  

Even though they won the first match, the JV volleyball team knew that had to keep fighting to win the second.

“We communicate well on the court. We also place the ball in open spots. Our hitters do a good job at that,” Alyssa Gomez (9) said. 

By working together and connecting on the court, the girls were able to beat Merrillville in the second match 25-13.

“This game was a little slower than usual. We still tried to keep up the energy,” Rachel Furmanek (11) said.

The girls will take on the LaPorte Slicers on Thursday at Lake Central. The girls are going to bring the intensity to get another win.  

“Some of our strengths are working as a team. We are really close and we work as a unit,” Peyton Crnjak (9) said.