Sliding into the season

Cheyenne Mathas (10) takes a swing during the bottom of the first inning. The team finished the first inning with a score of 5-0, leading the game.

The varsity softball team defeated the Portage Indians on Wednesday, April 5, with a final score of 12-0. Despite the cold weather, the team did their best to keep warm and come out on top.

“It is rough to play when it is freezing outside, but we all pushed through it as a team and did what we had to do,” Ciera Novak (12) said.

The team came together as a whole to make sure they knew what Portage was bringing to the plate. The girls made sure to have a game plan in place that would help guarantee a win.

“As a team, we talked about Portage players and their strengths and weaknesses. We also talked about our game plan. We wanted to jump on them early, get runners on bases and move them around, and having a solid defense behind our pitching,” Rylee Platusic (10) said.

After ending the first inning with five points, the girls worked together at the top of the second to make sure Portage did not get any points.

“[Our defensive strategy] was to hold them and try to finish the game as soon as possible because of the freezing temperatures. If anything, we need to work on our defense because we are already a very solid hitting team,” Novak said.