Indians fall short to Slicers

Paige+Carter+%2812%29+makes+a+diving+stop+at+second+base.+Carter+will+continue+her+career+in+softball+playing+at+Western+Kentucky+University+in+the+fall.+
Paige Carter (12) makes a diving stop at second base. Carter will continue her career in softball playing at Western Kentucky University in the fall.

On Tuesday, April 19, varsity softball lost the third game of the season to the LaPorte Slicers 2-0.

During the first inning, the ladies had a rough time defensively. LaPorte scored two runs in just the first inning.

“Runs happen [and defensive mistakes happen]. I was upset, but I wasn’t going to let that affect my pitching for the rest of the game,” Alexa Pinarski (10) said.

The varsity team fought a tough battle, trying to catch up with LaPorte’s score. The girls stayed dry the whole game, having few hits and some defensive errors.

“We didn’t really have a lot of hitting. We didn’t get very many base runners, but we played some decent defense. LaPorte was very good and we just couldn’t hold it together and we didn’t make any adjustments,” Pinarski said.

With consistent strikes from Pinarski, the team was able to stay positive during the rough game.

“We all know that it is definitely possible to come back by how many runs we are down. Without a positive mindset there’s no way we can win, so we just keep our heads up and keep fighting,” Pinarski said.

After seven innings of hard-fought softball in which the girls played their toughest, the game resulted in a loss for the Indians.

“In general, it wasn’t our best outing. We were not disciplined at the plate and we weren’t picking pitches we could drive,” Guzman (11) said.

The next game is Thursday, April 21, and is a makeup game against Chesterton at Chesterton High School.