From flyball to farewell

Crystal Guzman (11) high-fives her teammates, Cheyenne Mathas (10) and Julia Schassburger (12). Guzman’s triple ended the game.

May 18 marked the day the varsity softball team honored its seniors. The girls ended the game with a score of 11-1 against the Michigan City Wolves.

“[Senior Night] was really nice. We got flowers, and one of our juniors, Alexandra Hickey (11), made us our posters. It had a bunch of pictures of us and our teammates. Our parents got to come out to see us and all of my friends came out to watch,” Haylee Sherlund (12) said.

After the pre-game ritual, the girls had other plans to mark their day.

“In the middle of one of the innings, we had all of the seniors come out and the younger players come in, so it was like a passing of the torch. It was really cool,” Sherlund said.

The seniors weren’t the only ones who enjoyed Senior Night.  

“Being able to honor our four seniors was great especially [with] it being our last home game, we wanted them to go out with a win. It was just a night where we were able to talk about their past accomplishments and celebrate them for all they have done these past four years,” Crystal Guzman (11) said.

Senior Night ended with Guzman’s triple.

“To end the game with a triple was pretty great. During the at bat and before I just kept telling myself to relax and stay focused until I saw a pitch I could drive,” Guzman said.