Battle between the Indians

Michael+Pucci+%2810%29+runs+after+his+competitor.+Pucci+competed+on+the+JV+team+last+season.+
Michael Pucci (10) runs after his competitor. Pucci competed on the JV team last season.

On Wednesday, Aug. 31, the JV boys soccer team played against Portage. The game ended with a 5-0 victory by LC.

“[Some]  things that [the team] has drastically improved on are being able to maintain the ball, being able to hold possession and being able to hold together as a unit and as a team,” Coach Juan Zambrano said.

The team gained confidence from their win after losing to Munster on Monday. Highlights from the game against Portage include Jason Bader (9) scoring two goals on his birthday, Youssef Errihani (9) scoring one goal and Jack Bailey (9) scoring two goals.

“I think the way we were able to get around the corner, around the last defender and able to get the ball into the middle where we could slide in and get it [to] the back of the net helped a lot. We’re maintaining our width on the field, and we executed our game plan. [Our hard work] showed in the result,” Coach Zambrano said.

This conference game will help the team move closer to the Duneland Athletic Conference championship. Schools located in Lake County compete in the DAC championship.

“[This game was important] because it was a conference game, and it was really important to win since we lost the last [game] to Munster,” Youssef Errihani (9) said.

The boys’ next match is Sept. 14 against Chesterton at home.