Biting the gold

Joseph Copeland (11) competes in the Duneland Athletic Conference meet on Oct. 1. Copeland credited his win to drinking water and getting plenty of sleep.

On Oct. 1, the Varsity girls and boys Cross Country team competed at the DAC. The boys took home second, with Joseph Copeland (11) earning first.

“As soon as I crossed the finish line, my face broke into a huge smile, and I put my finger up in the air,” Copeland said.

Copeland worked hard to prepare for this event, even until the night before. The outcome of the event taught him lessons he will remember for next year.

“I made sure to drink plenty of water a few days before, and [I] got a lot of sleep the night before. [Next year,] I’ll keep in mind that I can’t go out too fast in the first mile,” Copeland said.

Though it took a village to help Copeland get to where he is now, positive energy was a key factor.

“My teammates and coaches helped me by believing in me and telling me every day that I was going to win,” Copeland said.

It was an exhilarating moment for Copeland and one that he will never forget.

“After crossing the line, I felt like I could still run five more races. I felt great,” Copeland said.