Varsity cross country teams place first at Sectionals

Mitchell Polaski (11) finishes the race. The boys cross country team had a final score of 19.

At Sectionals held at Riverside Park in Hammond, Ind., girls and boys varsity cross country teams placed first. Sarah Hunsley (12) broke the school’s record with 18:07.

“[Hunsley] put her time in the summer. She made her mind up. She was injured last year at the end of the season, so when it was over at the end of last year, her goal was to break the record and be top 10 at State. She put in the time and effort to get to that,” Ms. Ann Downey, Mathematics, said.

Hunsley wanted to make her last Sectionals one to remember, and she did by accomplishing her goal.

“I was a little freaked out because I didn’t have my watch running, and I usually do. I just ran how I felt. I felt really good. I knew that if I wanted to break the school record I had to go at the end, which I did. I feel great beating the record. I’m happy,” Hunsley said.

The boys runner, Joseph Copeland (11), also placed first.

“It felt really cool to be leading the whole race. Throughout the race, my teammates were with me, so we all pushed off each other to help each other run fast,” Copeland said.

Regionals will be held at Lemon Lake in Cedar Point, Ind. on Saturday, Oct. 15, at 10 a.m.