Taking down the Trojans

+Faith+Maldonado+%2812%29+runs+down+the+court+after+a+loose+ball.+Maldonado+played+point+guard+for+the+majority+of+the+game.%0D%0A
Faith Maldonado (12) runs down the court after a loose ball. Maldonado played point guard for the majority of the game.

In their first home game of the season, the varsity girls basketball team defeated the Highland Trojans with a final score of 63-49. The girls’ high energy and focus contributed to their win, improving their overall record to 3-3.

“We had a lot of energy going into our first home game. I knew we would be hyped up to play,” Kylie Fehrman (12) said.

This game was no walk in the park, however. The Trojans put up a fight, leading at the completion of the first quarter with a score of 19-17. While the lead was wavering back and forth between the two teams early on, the Indians began to take over during the second half of the game. The first half ended with a score of 30-26 Lake Central, but the Indians were able to outscore the Trojans in the third to increase their lead to 51-35.

“I think we came out strong and kept the energy up the entire game. It was a close game the whole time, but we got the result we wanted,” Fehrman said.  

Fehrman led the team in points scored with 18 total, followed by Lauren Ladowski (11) with 14 and Rachael Robards (11) with 11. The Indians face off next against Munster High School at home on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m.