The 31 seconds that led to victory

Stephanie Dijak (10) took possession of the ball after stealing it from a Lowell player. Dijak’s teammates followed her and allowed her to make a basket.

Determination, strong defense and effective communication led to the JV girls basketball team victory over Lowell Wednesday, Jan. 19.

“Going into the game, we knew we needed to come out strong, and scoring early helped us as a team [to] build off of that energy,” Stephanie Dijak (10) said.

Dijak helped build the team’s confidence and boost their spirits to win the game by scoring a basket and adding two points to start the game off within the first 31 seconds of the game.

“I think as a team we worked well together. Even though we made a couple of mistakes, we continued to communicate with each other and discuss what plays we needed to do to win this game,” Laurissa Marquez (10) said.

The Indians had a 30 point lead over Lowell. The girls worked hard by listening to the coach’s shouts of what play they should undertake and how to keep the ball away from Lowell. Megan Long (10) kept the ball away from Lowell by blocking them and earning many steals. Her steals helped her earn 14 points for the girls. The final score was 56-25.

“Our next game is at Valparaiso High School. This win would help secure us by getting first place in the [Duneland Athletic Conference] outright. We also hope to focus on our defence and finish the season strong,” Dijak said.

The team continues to practice and give all their hardwork and dedication as they try to win the DAC championship and bring it home. The team will be playing at home Friday, Jan. 20, at 5:30 p.m.