Buzzer beater

The student section swarms Joseph Graziano (12) after he scores the winning basket against Merrillville. There were 4.8 seconds left on the clock when Graziano started the play.

On Feb. 2, the boys varsity basketball team defeated the Merrillville Pirates with a final score of 59-58.

“[I think the team played] unbelievable. That was a really good team that we beat. After our triple overtime loss at Chesterton, we talked about learning how to win against really good competition down the stretch,” Head Coach Dave Milausnic, West Lake, said.

At halftime, LC was up 30-27, but the game was far from over.

“Today we had breakdowns, but we kept playing and going at it. I knew we could win, but we would have to play exceptionally well to win,” Coach Milausnic said.

With 4.8 seconds left in the game, the score was 58-57, LC down, but Joseph Graziano (12) sprinted down the court with the ball to try to make a final shot to win the game. As the buzzer went off, the student section swarmed Graziano to celebrate the basket he just scored and the game he just won.

“I saw the wide open lane. I was like you can’t miss it. I was just so happy to win. First made shot, first game winner. It was just good experience overall,” Graziano said.

The team celebrated Graziano, giving him the game winning ball.

“It was crazy. I was so hyped, just to win against a top team in the state, so I was happy,” Derek Hobbs (9) said.

The next game will be on Tuesday, Feb. 7, at home, but the team is already looking past that to Sectionals.

“To see this group continue to grow and get tighter and play better basketball because they’re starting to mature, I think our best basketball is ahead of us,” Coach Milausnic said.