Q&A: Paige Lambert (9)

Paige Lambert (9) dances with her teammates during halftime at a basketball game. Lambert danced alongside mostly upperclassmen and is the only freshman on varsity.

Q: When you were trying out, what were your expectations for the Centralettes?

A: I was expecting to make JV because most freshmen don’t make varsity, but obviously my goal was to make varsity.

Q: Did you have any idea that you were going to make varsity during the decision process after tryouts?

A: I was thinking about it just because I started practicing with them, but I was still expecting to make JV because the chance of me making varsity was still really low.

Q: How did you feel when you found out you made varsity?

A: I felt really accomplished and really excited to be on the team.

Q: What sort of responsibilities do you have as a varsity member?

A: Sometimes it can be hard being a freshman on varsity because you can never mess up. You’re expected to do everything right. There can be a lot of pressure.

Q: Do people treat you differently when they hear that you’re a freshmen on varsity?

A: I don’t think so. They usually act surprised, but they’re just changing their opinion on me a little.

Q: How do you think being a varsity freshman compares to being a JV freshman?

A: It’s just the people that you’re around. It’s obviously different because you’re surrounded by a different team, and it’s probably a little bit harder, or more intense.

Q: You only recently started dancing on school teams, since before then you danced with a separate studio. How do you think your Centralette experience would have changed if you had been dancing with these coaches and people before last year?

A: I might’ve known more people on the team if I was on middle school team another year. I could’ve gotten used to the program more before I made the huge jump to varsity.

Q: How has making varsity as a freshman changed your relationship with your other Centralette friends that made JV?

A: I really don’t think it’s changed because all of the people that I was friends with before that made JV are still really close with me. It’s not like our different teams changed their opinion on me.

Q: You’re most likely doing Centralettes for the next three years. How do you think your experience will compare with someone who will have to transition from JV to varsity?

A: I’m more adapted to it. I feel like the people moving to varsity won’t really understand the practice and the importance of all of it, so I think I’ll just be more prepared.

Q: Do you have any advice for a freshman newly on varsity?

A: You just have to work your hardest. There’s not much you can do other than put in all your effort and never back down.