On the right track

Caleb Pisowicz (11) competes during a hurdle event during a track meet at home. This was Pisowicz’s first year competing in varsity hurdle events.

The varsity boys track team had their first outdoor meet at home on Tuesday, April 11, against Crown Point and Merrillville. The boys were defeated by Crown Point but beat Merrillville.

“The season has been going great. We have been running and lifting since November. I felt pretty confident going into the meet and was pleased afterward. I want to improve on my long jump. All of the hard work will pay off,” Nicholas Lucas (12) said.

While some are keeping focus on the different ways they can improve personally, they still find ways that they can improve as a team.

“As a team we can work on improving our mental attitudes, handoffs during relays and making sure the upperclassmen are helping the freshmen and sophomores that might still be getting used to the sport adjust to it and teach them how to perform better,” Joseph Copeland (11) said.

With many meets prior to this one, the boys had different opportunities to work on the skills that they struggled with throughout the season.

“Collectively, we have all gotten stronger and faster. We are more experienced with the different races, which makes us better at pacing depending on the race. With all of the endurance days, we should never get tired,” Joshua Benson (12) said.