Region supremacy

Jarrett Lopez (12) swings the bat attempting to hit the ball. Lake Central lost to Munster in last years sectionals.

The calls from the dugouts and the victory cheers were roaring on Friday, April 28, when varsity boys baseball defeated Munster 12-1. The game ended in six innings and the Indians improved on their season record 12-5.

“We came out with an aggressive mindset. We were in it the whole game, and we played hard the whole time,” Benjamin Nisle (12) said.

Munster High School being only 7.9 miles away brings a strong sense of competition between Lake Central and Munster. Although Munster is not in the Duneland Athletic Conference, players take it seriously trying to be victorious in the “region rivalry.”

“This [game will] get your juices flowing. It is Friday night, it is kind of like how the Sectional will be like for the championship game. I’m glad we got to come [to Munster] so we get a chance not only to play on their field, but we get to play under the lights which is an advantage,” Coach Michael Swartzentruber, Business, said.

The game consisted of a booming student section and eager parents watching intently on the game. The crowd celebrated as Maxwell Pattison (12) struck the ball for an RBI allowing the first player to come home, Bradley Loden (12).

The boys will face Munster again in during their Sectional game at Munster. Last year, the boys fell 5-4 and they hope to win and continue their post-season journey this year.

“As a team, I’d say this is the best game we’ve played all year. We came together big time and the bats finally came out today. It’s huge, [beating Munster] especially after losing to them last year Sectional. We’ve wanted this since that night, this was huge,” Maxwell Pattison (12) said.