The Final Stretch

Ellie Keith (12) hugs her coach in a sentimental moment. Keith ran track and cross country for Lake Central.

On Tuesday, April 25, the girls track team recognized their seniors before their meet against Chesterton and LaPorte. The senior girls were given posters and gift bags assembled by their fellow teammates.

“The seniors have been really good leaders trying to show our younger kids how to do things, and I’ve been really proud of them and how they have carried themselves. They are really about the team and trying to make everyone better and making themselves better,” Coach Jeanette Gray, Mathematics, said.

Many of the girls on the team look up to the seniors as mentors and will be sad to see them leave this season.

“Every year the seniors help me get better and it’s going to be hard without them because they have been really influential on me. They help me and support me, even if they aren’t always around you can hear them calling your name,”  Kendal Travis (11) said.

The seniors were able to reminisce on all of their favorite track memories together. However, the girls still have meets to look forward to before the end of the season.

“I will definitely miss my teammates the most. I’ve met so many new people. A lot of them I never really thought I would talk to, but now I see them every day and talk to them more then I talk to some of my other friends now,” Mhejhana Williams (12) said.