A game for a good cause

Noah Osearo (12) kicks the ball back to the offense after stopping an attempt on a goal. Osearo was able to block many goal shots during the game.

On Saturday, Sept. 16, the varsity boys soccer team played against William Henry Harrison and had ended in a 1-1 tie. The game was dedicated to Jack Quinlan (12), who had been diagnosed with Leukemia.

“I have known Jack Quinlan since he was four-years-old and honestly everyday I go to bed I pray. Everyday I come out here I think that although we are out here trying to beat West Lafayette, he is trying to beat a more significant cause. When the boys came to me and said to me that they wanted to do that for him before the game, there is nothing that will ever come close to that for me,” Coach Jeremy Rainwater, Vocational, said.

The team had dedicated the game to Quinlan because of how much he means to them. The team had considered Quinlan a great player.

“We lost a player of ours and he was really important to us, and now we don’t have him anymore and this is our first game without him,” Jack Bailey (10) said.

Despite the boys not having one of their teammates out there on the field they were able to score an early goal that gave them the lead for most of the game.

“I usually don’t score a lot, but scoring on a big day, big game, [like] senior night, it felt great.” Cuahutemoc Rodriguez-Lara (12) said.

The next game is Wednesday, Sept. 20 against Valparaiso. The team has been undefeated in the Duneland Athletic Conference (DAC).

“We play Wednesday against Valparaiso, right now we are leading the DAC, we have zero losses. If we are able to win that Valpo game. We like to think that if we can get through that Valpo game, we’ll have a good chance of being DAC champs,” Rainwater said.