Sectional slaughter

Issac Beatty (11) runs down towards the finish line. Beatty placed fourth place at Sectionals. Photo by: Josh Chen

Boys cross country competed in Sectionals on Saturday, Oct. 7 at Riverside Park in Hammond. The boys ran their top seven runners at the meet hoping to secure a major victory. The team’s biggest competitor that day would be Highland.

“I think Sectionals we always have a really good chance or advantage of making through,” William Duzynski (12) said.

The race started with a quick start and Lake Central taking a commanding lead in the front of the group of runners. As the race went on Duzynksi and Joseph Copeland (11) took first and second place in the race while Highland attempted to match the boys pace.

“Though our times where a little slow, we came in expecting to get first.” Joseph Copeland.

On the final mile Copeland was passed by Highland and in the final 200m it came down between Duznyski and the Highland runner. In a all out sprint Duzynski gave it his all and left the Highland boy behind taking first place. Copeland followed suit behind and took third place. Other notable performances came from Issac Beatty (11) who took fourth place and Logan Russel (9) who took sixth place.

“It feels really good, it is the first win of my season, it feels like all the work I have been putting in has pulled off,” Duzynski said.”

Lake Central dominated the race with six of their seven runners placing in the top 20. Lake Central took first place and brought home another sectionals title. The boys will race next at Lemon Lake in Cedar Lake on Saturday, Oct. 14 racing to win Regionals.

“I don’t want to get to overconfident or say to much but I do hope for the best and think we will be successful,” Gurvir Gill (11) said.