The Fall of the Indians

Derek Hobbs (10) plays defense against an Andrean player. Lake Central lost.

The boys varsity basketball team played a home game against the Andrean 59ers on Nov. 20.  Lake Central lost to Andrean 74-78.

Keon Sellers (12) had been practicing on multiple aspects of the sport leading up to the game with the team.

“We’ve been practicing mostly on our defense, communicating on the ball and off the ball and cutting offense,” Sellers said.

Conner Tomasic (12) plans on working on his on-ball defense and help-side defense.

“[We] just basically worked on our defense and obviously after tonight we see that it’s gotta get a little better,” Tomasic said.

Sellers said he thought the team did well for it having been the first game of the season.

“We played good but our defense we should have obviously seen the ball and seen people getting open.  We should have known that we should box out more and that we should rebound,” Sellers said.

Sellers said the team will watch the game on film to learn where to improve. Tomasic said that the team’s defense was not at its best.

“I don’t think we played that well. We could have boxed out a lot better and defense on the ball was bad tonight, but we’ll work on that tomorrow and get better each day,” Tomasic said.

The team intends on playing better together and improving on defense in the future.

“Since this is our first game, we’re still playing a little rough, but we still played good at the end.  At the end of the day, we still work as a team and we just have to move forward,” Sellers said.

Tomasic said the mental aspect of the game needs improvement.

“I think we worked well together tonight, we just weren’t mentally focused all the time.  We need to get a little bit stronger in that aspect of the game,” Tomasic said.

Their next game will be Nov. 29 at Gary.