Just keep swimming

The girls varsity team huddles up before the start of their meet against Chesterton. The girls won the Highland Invite meet last weekend.

The Lake Central girls varsity swimming lost to the Chesterton Trojans at home on Tuesday, Jan. 9. The final score was 133-53.

“Some of us aren’t doing too hot today, but some of us are really pulling through and putting best times down, which is really good for this part of the season,” Rachel Albright (12) said.

The girls have had a very successful season so far, holding a record of 6-0-2. This includes their win at the Highland Invite, where they swam against multiple schools in the area.

“We’re cheering everyone on every race or standing at the end of everybody’s lanes cheering, everybody’s yelling their names. I think we are doing a really good job of that this season but the more spirit the better. The more support of our teammates the better overall,” Julianna Massa (12) said.

The varsity swim team dedicates many hours of their lives to the pool. Practices both before and after school are what help them be so competitive.

“Well it’s the beginning of championship season, so conference is coming up and everything so we’re trying to work as hard as we can to get a good placing going in and make sure we’re ready for the competition,” Albright said.

The next meet is the Duneland Athletic Conference meet on Saturday, Jan. 13, at Laporte High School.