A Superior Senior Night

Natalie+Almazan+%2812%29+prepares+to+dive+into+the+water.+She+swam+the+girls+400+yard+freestyle+relay.+
Natalie Almazan (12) prepares to dive into the water. She swam the girls 400 yard freestyle relay.

Senior night for the boys and girls swim team was held on Thursday, Jan. 18. The final score for the girls was 115-71 LC for the win and the boys lost to Munster with a score of 61-125.

The swim team commemorated their seniors during one of the last meets of this season. They had a short ceremony after the meet with pizza and cake.

“Being a senior during Senior Night felt awesome just having everyone cheer just for the seniors and being here for the four years we’ve been together,” Tyler Childress (12) said.

Each senior swimmers journey was unique from start to finish. These journeys were shaped by their personal trials and triumphs.

“My journey through the years swimming was very difficult. I started off really bad, then after my first year I started pushing myself harder and harder. I’ve come a long way and by far this is my best season yet,” Michael Perich (12) said.

Just like any sport, swimmers can get injured. Megan Earl (12) had couldn’t participate in an event for senior night because of her injury, but she came to see the team anyway. Childress had injured his shoulder during his swimming career.

“I think it just gave me more courage than it did to swim fast I was out for three months with a shoulder injury and I came back and decided to swim the longest event it was my old event it felt like I owed it to them to show everyone that joined to not be afraid of doing hard events I risked injuring my shoulder again just to do that for them,” Childress (12) said.

Swimming has knit this group tightly together through good times and bad. They’ve traveled to away meets, shared meals, hung out, lost together, and won together.

“The relationship with the team is like a brother hood there’s no shame between everyone in the team we tease each other but in the end we spend more time with each other everyday than we do at home,” Childress said.

Being on the team for the past few years has left the seniors with some wisdom.

“Advice I’d pass down to the others is that anything is possible. You just have to work for it and push yourself. You must be willing to do things other people aren’t going to do,” Michael Perich (12) said.