Diving Sectionals

Chris Wayman (11) does a somersault flip sending the audience into cheers. He was happy he got points for his team.

On Saturday, Feb. 17, the LC diving team competed, at Sectionals, against Hammond Gavit, Kankakee Valley, Highland, Lowell, Munster, Crown Point, Renesselaer Central and North Newton.

This meet was Sectionals and depending on how they do Saturday, determines if they will dive again on Tuesday, Feb. 20.

“Todays meet just depends on how I place. If I place in the top four, then I’ll have one more meet on Tuesday at regionals,” Christopher Wayman (11) said.

There were three LC divers out of 15 total. They did 8 rounds this morning, nine to 11, and will continue to do the rest of the rounds later on at 1 with the swimmers.

“First round, I wasn’t happy, but the second round I came back and now I’m only four points away from eighth place at the moment, and if i get in 8th place then I’ll get a patch for the back of my letterman jacket,” Vincent Taylor (11) said.

All the divers are very nervous and excited to see how they place today, but in the end, they’re just happy that they reached their goals and became a better diver by the end of the season.

“I reached my goal this year because last year I was the worst on the team and then I came back better by sucking it up and just dove, and now I’m hoping to place in the top 8,” Vincent Taylor (11) said.