Open House

On Sept. 6, 2017, parents attended Open House at Lake Central High School to meet with their children’s teachers about the classes that their kids would be taking. According to Carter Goldman (11), a volunteer at Open House, many parents showed up to learn more about their children’s classes.

“I think the turnout was great. We had many parents who came in and learned their children’s schedules and met their teachers,” Goldman said.

While attending Open House, parents familiarize themselves with the layout of Lake Central and also get to know the teachers of their children as well as learn more about the classes their students are taking.

“I think it’s important for parents to see what their children’s classes and teachers are so that they can be more informed when they are helping their children out,” Goldman also said.

At Open House, teachers usually give parents a general idea of what the course they’re teaching will cover. The teachers also communicate with the parents to get to know them better so that they have a better idea of who their students’ parents are so, if needed, it is easier to contact them and communicate with them in the future.

“It’s always good to establish a relationship. Relationships are easier to develop in person. It also shows a level of commitment and support from the parent.  It sends the message to the teacher that the parent cares,” Mr. Kendal Smith, Science Department, said.

Open House also gives the teacher a better idea of what a student’s life at home is like and if the student may need more help or not. It enables them to adjust the way they teach or reach out to a student based on the new information they have learned through meeting the parents at Open House.

“Often you will learn info about a student that gives you a different perspective about the student and may help you establish a new way to reach or react to that student. A teacher will have a little more patience with a student who is facing a significant personal crisis. Teachers feel terrible when they go off on a student and then later realize how difficult the family situation was for the student, ” Mr. Smith said.

Overall, Open House helps parents become accustomed with Lake Central as well as help them learn about their children’s classes in more detail. Open House also benefits the teachers because it helps them learn about their students’ lives more in depth so that they can offer the highest quality of teaching possible based on their students’ needs. Open House provides the chance for teachers and parents to establish a connection so that there’s a better sense of understanding between the two which, in the end, ultimately benefits the most important part of Lake Central: the students.

Mrs. Kathryn Clark, English, organizes a stack of handouts for parents. Her class was full of many of parents eager to learn about what their students would be covering in the course.
Carter Goldman (11) gives a thumbs up to signify the success of Open House. He was a volunteer who helped parents locate the classes they needed to go to.
 Parents pour out of classrooms as the bell rings to release them to the next class they need to go to. They eagerly chattered amongst themselves about the teachers they had already met and about the teachers they had yet to meet.
Mr. Kendal Smith, Science, gives informational handouts to parents and prepares to give a presentation about his class. He enthusiastically walked around the room and talked and met with parents to get to know them better.