Science Olympiad says goodbye to the season

+Raymond+Pollalis+%2811%29+hugs+Mrs.+Mary+Joan+Martin%2C+Science%2C+after+being+presented+an+award.++Many+members+won+awards+as+a+reward+for+their+work+throughout+the+season.
Raymond Pollalis (11) hugs Mrs. Mary Joan Martin, Science, after being presented an award. Many members won awards as a reward for their work throughout the season.

The Science Olympiad team ended their year by partaking in one last hoorah. The banquet took place on Friday, May 22, in Mrs. Mary Joan Martin’s classroom where they celebrated one last time before they said their final goodbyes to the seniors and prepared for the upcoming season.

“I’m going to miss the way the seniors lightened up the club; they lightened up the mood and they made everyone feel wanted and accepted in the club. That’s probably going to be an element we’ll miss when they’re gone,” Mohammad Hijaz (10) said.

The underclassmen are not the only ones hesitant to say goodbye.

“[I’m] probably going to miss the people and the trips; we really have a lot of fun. I didn’t think I would too much, but i am [going to miss Science Olympiad],” Guadalupe Cervantes (12) said.

This year, the team traveled to a State competition to compete against various students and schools around the region. The team placed fourth at State, which was a new record for them.

“[Going to State] was a really great experience and it was my first time in Science Olympiad, so it was really cool that I made the team [that actually competes at State]. Everyone worked really hard and did really well. Although we didn’t make Nationals, we know how hard to work next year,” Anna Hallowell (10) said.

All throughout the year, Mrs. Martin pushes the students to strive for excellence so they could further their knowledge and experiences.

“Mrs. Martin has really supported me, but [Mrs. Mary Joan Martin and Mrs. Julie Shupryt] just help us come together and be a team,” Cervantes said.

Through perseverance and hard work, members can accomplish their goals that will help them as they grow older.

“[Science Olympiad] is just fun; you don’t have to be the smartest person in the world to join, you just have to be good at what you do. [It] is just a great way to help [you] get into your desired field in college,” Hijaz said.