Senior Seminar Synopsis

A+board+outside+of+the+guidance+office+displays+different+college+opportunities%2C+ranging+from+scholarships+to+visits.+Some+colleges+have+volunteered+to+send+representatives+to+the+Senior+Seminar+on+Oct.+14.+
A board outside of the guidance office displays different college opportunities, ranging from scholarships to visits. Some colleges have volunteered to send representatives to the Senior Seminar on Oct. 14.

With college admissions deadlines quickly approaching, the Guidance department has planned a day for seniors to receive assistance with different parts of the application process. This “Senior Seminar” will take place on Oct. 14 from 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.

“The Senior Seminar is a really unique opportunity for our seniors. We picked the colleges our students apply to most often and asked those reps to hold individual meetings with our students,” Mrs. Melissa Rettig, Guidance, said.

This is the first year that the Senior Seminar is taking place, and will provide helpful information to seniors applying to colleges.

“They don’t do that at any other high schools. We are also utilizing our best resources, our own staff, to talk to seniors about the things they typically need the most help with like scholarships, sending transcripts, asking for letters of recommendation, writing essays [and] navigating NCAA,” Mrs. Rettig said.

Concerns that seniors may have can range from broad topics such as filling out applications to specific aspects of the application process.

“If [seniors] are still trying to figure out how to apply, then I would recommend the Naviance Assistance since so much of the process is done through Naviance. If I did have to pick one, though, they should definitely attend the Herff Jones seminar. They can get some graduation things out of the way and check that off the list,​” Mrs. Rettig said.

The seminar will provide an opportunity for seniors to receive feedback on college applications without requiring them to lose class time.

This is a great time for seniors to get the help they need without taking away from academic time,” Mrs. Rettig said.