What’s the deal with the new year?

The+new+year+brings+new+memories+and+sometimes+resolutions.+On+Jan.+1%2C+some+students+made+New+Year+resolutions%2C++while+others+did+not.+
The new year brings new memories and sometimes resolutions. On Jan. 1, some students made New Year resolutions, while others did not.

It is popular belief that with the arrival of the new year, people must make a change or resolution. While many students believe in having resolutions, some students are apathetic about them.

‘[I don’t believe in having resolutions] because people make them just for show and never really follow through with what they say they are going to do,” Sydney Cantrell (10) said.

Other students believe that they do not need a holiday in order to better themselves.

“[I do not believe in the motto] ‘new year, new me.’ I believe you can make a promise to yourself at any point and that you can reinvent yourself whenever you want. You don’t have to wait until January 1,” Madison Magdziarz (11) said.

On the other hand, some students view the turning of the calendar as a symbol of a fresh start.

“I think New Year’s is a great chance to start over. My goals are to have a healthier lifestyle, eat clean and to be more organized. I hope the new year brings soul-searching opportunities,” Kaylie Katsiris (9) said.