Holiday of hearts

This year National Donor Day is on Feb. 14. National Donor day was created to create awareness for organ donation.

Feb. 14 is commonly known as Valentine’s Day. This year, there’s another holiday of hearts that lands on the same date: National Donor Day. 

“I figure if I’m already dead, I might as well help someone else out.  [Organ donation] helps people live,” Samantha Bredar (10) said.

National Donor Day was created by the United States Department of Health and Human Services to raise organ donation awareness.  

“I think that if my organs can help someone else, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t donate them.  [Promoting organ donation is important] because anyone who needs an organ or help should definitely be able to get them,”  Madison Frederick (10) said.

Did you know that one organ donor can save up to eight lives? More than 123,000 people in the United States are currently on the waiting list for an organ transplant and on average, 21 people on the list will die every day from not getting the organ that they need.  (Source: organdonor.gov)

“If I die younger than I should, or in an accident, or if I just die, someone’s going to need my organs and I can save their life.  I just feel like everyone should live. I know that there’s really long lists for organ transplants, and they need all of the organs they can get,”  Rachel Albright (10) said.

National Donor Day exists to help save lives and create awareness for organ donation. This Feb. 14, there’s enough love to go around.