The tribe marches on

The drumline keeps time as they perform.The marching band had their first summer practice on June 7.

On Saturday, June 18, the Lake Central Marching Band performed at the Schererville Parade.

“The parade went very well. It was the official unveiling of the 2016 band season. For our first performance, we did great,” Emily Spriggs (11) said.

With a new director, the band students have to work together to prepare for the upcoming season. The upperclassmen have the responsibility of helping out the incoming freshmen.

“[The performance] was very promising. It showed how we have a lot of potential for the rest of the year. I’m really excited to see what these new kids and the upperclassmen can do,” Carlos Martinez (11) said.

The band had a total of seven practices in June before their performance at the parade. Starting at the end of July, the students will go to band camp for a total of 13 days.

“Practices are less rigorous than they were last summer, but we still put a lot of time into preparing for the season. Band camp is going to be all day long for a few weeks, but all of our time and effort will definitely be worth it. We have a good group of leaders teaching the freshman and directors who are working hard and motivating us to be better,” Spriggs said.