Pushing the limits for 50 years

“With a vintage Las Vegas theme, BSU Journalism Workshops Summer Media Academy goes “No Limits!” to empower students and advisers to reach greater heights in their broadcast, web, news and yearbook programs,” http://bsujournalismworkshops.com/workshops/summer-media-academy/

On Sunday, July 10th students from Lake Central’s publications class traveled to Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. Eight members of the class spent four days creating, learning and gathering inspiration from Ball State’s Journalism Workshop.
  This year’s workshop was especially exciting because it celebrated 50 years of the summer journalism program. Working closely with advisors who have seen the program change and grow, students were able to make connections and gain wisdom.
  “Since the classes were taught by other schools’ publications advisors, what was being taught to us about design and leadership skills was actually really authentic and relevant to our staff and publications,” Jessica Wojton (12).  
  The students gathered skills to take with them back home to their staff and built closer relationships with their fellow editors throughout the four days.
  “I love going to conventions like this because you can make so many connections with other schools, as well as make stronger connections with your own staff. It’s so rewarding to look back on the experience and remember all the hard work we put into it and being proud of ourselves and our work,” Victoria Wilkes (12).
 For the senior editors who attended these past few days, this will have been their last year going to a journalism workshop at BSU, but for many other staffers there will be plenty of fun-filled learning to come at next summer’s workshops.