Fun in the sun at camp

For seven weeks during the summer, Dyer Parks and Recreation holds two summer camps for kids between the ages of three to ten. The two camps, Kiddy Kamp and Outside Adventures, were enjoyed by both the leaders and the children.

“My favorite part about working at the camps is interacting with the kids. Making kids smile is such a rewarding thing. I know I’m making memories with kids that they’ll never forget, and that feels really good,” Katherine Morzy (10) said.

Many of the leaders who helped out with the camps were volunteers that wanted to spend their summer giving back to the community.

“I volunteered because I love kids, and I thought it would be a great thing to put on applications for college,” Morzy said.

With 50 kids in Kiddy Kamp, the leaders had challenging times throughout the course of the camp trying to entertain the children.

“It’s always a challenge trying to keep all of the kids’ attention. They sometimes lose focus quickly, so I try to plan a lot of different activities to keep them all interested,” Erin Kramer, camp director, said.

The young girl is coloring with markers at Kiddy Kamp. Kiddy Kamp was held from 10:30 a.m till 12 p.m.
During camp, the kids gather in a circle to sing silly songs. There were 50 kids who attended Kiddy Kamp.
Katherine Morzy (10) poses with two campers on the last day of camp. This was Morzy’s third year volunteering.
The kids gather around to give one last hug to Erin Kramer, camp director, on their last day of camp. Kramer has directed both camps for the last five years.
Three kids make silly faces to attempt to make the other children laugh on the last day of camp. The camp lasted seven weeks.