Q&A with Joshua Klocek (11)

Joshua Klocek (11) looks over ledge in Cinque Terre, Italy. He spent his summer traveling throughout Europe. Photo submitted by Joshua Klocek.

Q: Where did you go for vacation?

A: [I went to] the Mediterranean area, such as Spain and Italy.

Q: Is there a certain reason you went there?

A: We went on a family vacation. My parents wanted to enlighten me on the culture of Europe.

Q: What was the best moment of the entire trip?

A: The best moment of the trip was when we went to the Cinque Terre. It’s five old towns in Italy that have been the same way forever. We rented out a jeep and drove through Cinque Terre. It was really beautiful.

Q: What was the most frustrating thing about the trip?

A: [The most annoying thing was] having to carry euros around, and not being able to get water easily.  

Q: If you had to describe the Mediterranean area in one word, what would it be? Why?

A: Enlightening [is how I would describe the Mediterranean area because] I got to experience a whole new part of the world and a new way of life.

Q: What was the biggest difference between the Mediterranean and the United States?

A: The biggest difference was probably the culture and the people there. Everyone acted different, and they dressed a lot nicer than we do.

Q: Is there anything that you wish you could’ve done there that you didn’t get to?

A: I want to go to Santorini, Greece. We didn’t get to go there, we only went to Mykonos and Athens.

Q: Do you prefer being in America or Europe?

A: Honestly, I prefer being in Europe. It was really different, but I could get used to it.

Q: Would you ever consider going back or living there in the future?

A: I don’t know about living there, but I’d definitely go back.

Q: What was your favorite place to go in the Mediterranean?

A: [My favorite place was] La Boqueria. It’s this big open market in Barcelona, Spain. They sell a ton of food there, and it was all really good.