American Horror Story returns

The promo for “American Horror Story: Roanoke” plays before every episode airs. The first episode of the season premiered on Sept. 14.

On Wednesday Sept. 14, the popular anthology series “American Horror Story” returned for its highly-anticipated sixth season on FX. With this season’s teasers and previews shrouded in mystery, viewers were left wondering what the season’s theme would be up until it’s premiere date, when it was revealed as “American Horror Story: Roanoke”.

Unlike previous seasons, Roanoke is formatted and presented in the style of a fictional TV documentary series titled “My Roanoke Nightmare”. The series follows the experiences of a young married couple whose mysterious and paranormal experiences on their property in Roanoke Island, North Carolina are reenacted by actors.

The documentary style of this season gives the show a fresh and interesting outlook compared to previous seasons. The setting of a secluded, old and mysterious property gives the show a spookier, scarier feel to it when comparing it to more opulent seasons such as “Hotel” or “Freakshow”. Returning cast members such as Sarah Paulson, Angela Bassett and Lady Gaga, as well as new cast members such as Cuba Gooding, Jr. give top-notch acting performances. So far the season has lived up to what it promised in the previews: it’s confusing, mysterious and terrifying in it’s delivery. Like most new seasons of the show, returning viewers may find it difficult to warm up to, especially with this season’s new format, but the mysterious atmosphere, dark tone and favorite returning cast members are sure to keep returning viewers entertained.

“American Horror Story: Roanoke” airs on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. Eastern time on FX.