Hometown Hum Night

Ria Chopra (10) practices a dance move. This was her second year performing at Hum Night.

Hum Night and festivals for Diwali allow for Indian culture to be spread and celebrated by people who are not living in India.

“This dance in particular is because of an Indian festival, Diwali, the festival of lights,” Ria Chopra (10) said.

Diwali is a festival celebrated in India to celebrate the new year. Students in Indiana are celebrating by coming together and creating dances to perform.

“We do Hum Night which is for our volunteer group,” Chopra said.

Hum Night is similar to the Diwali performance, but it is used to raise money so that the group can continue volunteering. The dance is performed in a banquet hall, and the money goes toward the volunteer group. The group often volunteers at places like Carmelite, a home for children.

“[The dance] is choreographed by each group” Chopra said.

When participating, one gets to choose their own group. The group that is chosen choreographs their own dance, mixing traditional Indian dances and more modern dances. The practice is usually held at the house of a member of a group.

“[Hum Night] spreads Indian culture,” Chopra said.

The dances are not only used to celebrate, but they are also used to educate. People who are not Indian are invited to attend Hum Night, which can help teach about Indian traditions and culture by immersing the people in the celebration.

“It’s a great experience,” Chopra said.