Grab the mic

Jocelyn Hansen (9) holds up lyrics for Ava Solis (9) who sings “Spirits” by The Strumbellas. Hansen held up lyrics for multiple people throughout this Open Mic meeting.

For students looking for a place to display their talent, Open Mic is just the place. Students can come and perform every Thursday after school.

“It’s a free and open space to express your creativity, your musical school, poetic skill, comedic skill or anything that you want to do,” Mason Crawford (11) said.

Open Mic is an accepting environment. There is no need for a student to be nervous to perform. In fact, this is a great time for students to work with performing in front of groups of people.

“If you’re very nervous with performing, it’s actually a really nice place to try and perform in front of other people. There’s been a couple of times where someone will be really nervous, so the whole room will turn around. It’s just not a tense atmosphere. You don’t have to really worry about impressing anyone,” Sophia Boeckstiegel (11) said.

Anything from reciting poetry to rapping Dr. Seuss books will go at Open Mic.

“You can just go up and do whatever you want. A lot of people sing songs, tell some poetry that they wrote or even just do something goofy,” Boeckstiegel said.

Attending Open Mic is a great way to meet new people, hang out with friends or watch others perform.

“It’s a friendly environment to meet new people if you haven’t met them already. It’s a place to support others where you can see talent throughout the school, and even show off your own talent,” Crawford said.

Briana Sambrooks (9) sings “Taking Back My Heart” by Rusty Clanton. Sambrooks also performed “Safe and Sound” by Taylor Swift this Open Mic.
Kaylie Katsiris (10) and Radosav Mihajlovic (10) sing “The Longest Time” by Billy Joel. They have been members of the club since the beginning of this year.
A group of students sit and wait for the next person or group to perform. Most things performed at this meeting were songs, jokes and stories.
Mason Crawford (11) sings and plays the ukulele to “Can’t Take My Eyes off You” by Frankie Vallie and The Four Seasons. Crawford was appointed head of Open Mic Club this year.