Is it an endocrime to learn?

Jenna Bunner (11) locates the endocrine gland on the diagram and observes it. Bunner participated in Mrs. Stephanie Parks’, Science, lab on Feb. 3.

On Friday, Feb. 3, Mrs. Stephanie Parks, Science, had her Anatomy and Physiology classes perform a lab about the endocrine system and the hormones it releases.

“This lab is teaching the students the functional anatomy of the endocrine glands. We are learning the endocrine glands [and] where they’re located. They’re learning some microscopic anatomy by looking at the pancreas and the thymus under the microscope. In addition to that, they have to learn in general what hormones each of those glands release,” Mrs. Parks said.

The students were able to look at a model of the endocrine gland and cells to have a visual basis of where different hormones are secreted from. The class has a test coming up so Mrs. Parks gave this lab as a review.

“I really enjoyed this lab. My favorite part was looking in the microscope and you can see all the different things up close that you wouldn’t normally see. We were able to better ourselves and to see more and understand more, and it benefitted me because if we didn’t do it I wouldn’t have known about it,” Halley Benko (11) said.

Mrs. Parks also saw this as an opportunity to teach the students thinking about going into the medical field something they will need to know throughout their career.

“Because this class is dual credit, most of my students are either interested in pursuing a career in the health field or they’re just looking for a dual credit option and it’s an honors class so it’s beneficial for them because everyone is governed by hormones. I think it’s good to have a working knowledge of hormones, and if they’re going to pursue a medical career in the future they’re going to need to know this information.” Mrs. Parks said.