The world turned upside down

The new Broadway show “Hamilton” is in previews now at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City on July 22, 2015. (Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times)

While the shot heard around the world may have happened over 240 years ago, the hit musical “Hamilton” is making history relevant again as its soundtrack plays into the ears of people from all around the world.

“It’s the story of Alexander Hamilton’s, a founding father, life from his point of view in musical form. It begins during the Revolutionary War and follows Hamilton through the construction of the United States government and up until his death,” Ana Zanza (12) said.

While the musical is educational, it is the soundtrack that seems to have people hooked.

“I listen to the music on repeat; it fits every mood. I love to listen to it while I work out, but then I can turn around and listen to it while I study and do my homework,” Zanza said.

As the musical has grown in popularity, it has not captured everyone’s attention.

“I have never listened to or seen ‘Hamilton’ before. All my friends listen to it, so I probably will eventually. I just have no immediate desire to,” Cara Scott (12) said.

With every pop culture phenomenon, there comes two sides: die hards and the unimpressed.

“I guess I’m not really a fan of the way Lin-Manuel Miranda’s music sounds. It’s not a style I enjoy listening to. I also really hate hearing people ‘fangirl’ about something solely because everyone else enjoys it. Be your own person and listen to music you actually enjoy,” William Kruzan (12) said.