Planning for the future

Mrs.+Ashley+Kline%2C+Guidance%2C+helps+to+pass+out+information+about+college+applications.+The+meeting+was+in+the+LGI.+
Mrs. Ashley Kline, Guidance, helps to pass out information about college applications. The meeting was in the LGI.

The third annual College Planning Night took place on March 21 in the LGI Room with Mrs. Sherrie Bereda, Guidance, and Mrs. Melissa Rettig, Guidance hosting the meeting. The discussion of the night was aimed toward applying for college.  

“The purpose of this meeting is to break the ice with parents, especially of juniors, and to get them acclimated to the process of applying to college,” Mrs. Bereda said.

The meeting was also held to answer any questions and to make parents and students more comfortable with the idea of applying to college.

“I am sure that not everyone is going to get it the first time, but at least they have a basic understanding of the process,” Mrs. Rettig said.

Meetings like this one have taken place with the help of the Guidance Department.

“This is our third annual meeting. I worked in conjunction with Mrs. Rettig and the counselors helped out with a few things as well,” Mrs. Bereda said.

The Guidance Department is also planning on having meetings similar to this one in the future to prepare parents of juniors and students for the college application process.

“Next year at the beginning of the year, we do something again for senior parents, so they will have heard it a couple of times. It is so they can start the process on their own,” Mrs. Rettig said.

Although these meetings are intended to prepare students and parents for the future, they are also a reminder to everyone that the Guidance Department is here to help students and parents.

“The staff in the guidance department here at Lake Central are here to support them and guide them and answer questions along the way, so do not feel that overwhelmed,” Mrs. Bereda said.