Advanced foods students pass the plate

Officer Jerry Patrick smiles as he walks through the door. The breakfast was offered to Dyer, Schererville and St. John police chiefs, fire chiefs, principals, vice principals and deans.

On Wednesday, April 12, Advanced Nutrition Wellness class whipped up some breakfast for the Dyer, Schererville and St. John police chiefs, fire chiefs, principals, vice principals and deans as a thank you for their service.

“The whole thing came about when Mr. [Ed] Beck, Assistant Principal, went to a different school, and he saw that their advanced cooking classes worked for a meeting. He approached me to see if that would be OK, and I said, ‘Great because the advanced foods kids do such a super job, and we’d be happy to cook for them,’” Mrs. Vivian Velasco, Family and Consumer Science, said.

After finding out, the class decided which dishes they wanted to put on the menu.

“Our class picked the menu of our favorites and what we wanted to try. The new things were the egg, bacon and cheese strata and the egg, bacon and cheese savory pie. Biscuits and gravy is something we’ve been doing,” Madeline Jurek (12) said.

For Raymond Kosinski (11), this event meant first-hand experience for his future career.

“This experience means the world to me. Getting to cater and serve the people who serve the community is just a phenomenal experience, and I’m very happy to do it. I think cooking is one of the few things that bring people together, and I want to own a cafe when I’m older,” Kosinski said.

Like Kosinski, Velasco also enjoyed the event.

“It’s wonderful for them to do this and cook for people from the outside. We want to make Lake Central shine, and our kids did that. You come together and it’s all about the food,” Velasco said.