Dancin’ through the night

Electro-funk%2C+jam+band+Pigeons+Playing+Ping+Pong+play+a+late+night+show+at+Bottom+Lounge+in+Chicago%2C+Ill.+They+sold+out+the+venue+on+Sept.+9.+
Electro-funk, jam band Pigeons Playing Ping Pong play a late night show at Bottom Lounge in Chicago, Ill. They sold out the venue on Sept. 9.

High energy from electro-funk jam band Pigeons Playing Ping Pong kept the audience dancing during the late night show at Bottom Lounge in Chicago, Ill., on Sept. 9. Pigeons Playing Ping Pong wrapped up their summer tour and kicked off their fall tour celebrating the release of their new album “Pizzaz.”

As the doors opened at 8:30 p.m., the room began to fill. A few stragglers wandering here and there turned into a sold-out venue packed with people. The colorful stage lights were caught in the smoky air. By the time the opening act Flamingosis began his show an hour later, people were crowding the stage, ready to dance. Producer Flamingosis sampled older songs and put a new spin on them in his vaporwave-style of music that amped up the crowd.

The real show stopper was the main act, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong. As the band members took the stage, their vibrant personalities took hold of the audience and their presence filled the room. The crowd drew closer to the stage, cramming into a giant mass of anticipation.

When the first note hit, energy gained momentum in the crowd, rising and falling with the music. Because Bottom Lounge is a small venue, the audience was close to the band and an intimate feeling arose. The sounds of guitar melding with bass and drums and the outlandish jams exclusive to Pigeons filled the room. Influences from funk and other jam bands are obvious, but this band creates an individual element of surprise and a bouncing musical feel. Lead singer Greg Ormont entertained throughout the entire show with outrageous facial expressions and his wild, curly hair flopping in front of his face while he played guitar.

Not only was the show worth the inexpensive ticket, it was a night of excitement on stage and in the crowd. Known for their constant touring, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong has mastered the art of putting on a good show and creating a unique style of music.