Continuing a 15-year streak

Carson Shrader (11) struggles to keep possession of the ball as a Munster opponent fights to take possession of the ball. Shrader was able to maintain possession.

On Wednesday, Oct. 4 boys varsity soccer competed against Munster in their semifinals. The game was held at East Chicago Central High School. The Indians won with a final score of 3-1. During the beginning of the second half Noah Osero (12) was able to score a goal through a penalty kick.

“[Scoring is] a great feeling especially against Munster. [We’re] getting revenge from last season,” Osearo said.

Later on in the second half of extra time Emilio Zambrano (9) and Carson Shrader (11) were able to score goals that led to Lake Central’s victory.

“To score a goal so late in the game meant so much, I dreamt of it, I dreamt about scoring against Munster and it meant so much to us. I did it for myself, I did it for my team and I did it especially for my coach,” Zambrano said.

The boys took time preparing for this game throughout the season since their 1-3 loss against Munster.

“Every game since we’ve played Munster early on [in the] season, we recognized the shape that they played [and] we simulated it in training. Our second-team players did an awesome job of mimicking what these guys do. I was unbelievably pleased with their effort and ability to come through,” Coach Jereme Rainwater, Vocational, said.

The day before the big game, the boys received good news about one of their teammates, Jack Quinlan (12), who had been fighting Leukemia. They learned that he was in remission and were beyond happy.

“[Winning] was a rush of emotions, we received good news about Jack yesterday and that was even better than [winning], no doubt about it,” Coach Rainwater said.

On Saturday, Oct. 7, the boys will advance to Sectionals and will play against Morton High School. If the boys win, it will mark a 15-year streak of the varsity boys soccer team winning Sectionals.