Defeated on their home turf

Danny McGrath (9) gets pinned down by a Crown Point opponent. The boys lost with a score of 13-53.

With a score of 13-53, JV and varsity wrestling lost to Crown Point at their home meet on Thursday, Dec. 14. Even with the devastating lost, the boys feel like they can take the steps to improve for next time.

“We could of done a lot better if we were focused on our matches and stayed warmed up. Overall I think we did good as a team. We just have to work a lot better then we just did today and work harder in the room and the weight room,” Antonio Gutierrez (11) said.

Throughout the meet, the boys showed the desire the win with many takedowns and bumps to Crown Point.

“I can definitely be more aggressive [next time] and take more shots. Also don’t let them get a chicken wing. I think we’re pretty good as a team right now, but we can improve in many places like our referee position and our defense,” Christin Ponce (10) said.

At most home meets, many friends and family come out to cheer on the team. This positive energy helps gives the boys the fighting spirit they need.

“I feel at a home meet we [have] the other teammates we got all the fans around, it helps if you take a nice takedown and you hear everyone yelling. I feel like it gives me a boost of motivation. As in an away meet everyone is rooting against you. I definitely feel like home meets got the advantage,” Jackson Bais (12) said.